By setting up in Paris-Saclay, TotalEnergies aims to integrate a co-innovation space within an ecosystem of excellence to invent, develop and experiment with the energy solutions of tomorrow. Our goal is to create a standard-setting innovation and R&D hub with international influence in carbon-free energy.
WORKING TOGETHER TO BUILD A CARBON-NEUTRAL FUTURE
Strategic partnerships with public and private players
TotalEnergies has a longstanding presence in Saclay’s environment. The Scientific and Technical Center located in Beauplan near Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse spearheaded the Group’s R&D activities in the area of geosciences in the 1990s and up until 2001. Total EV Charge is located in Vélizy. More recently, some of TotalEnergies’s research teams have moved to the École Polytechnique district, in the buildings of IPVF and Nano Innov (CEA).
TotalEnergies maintains partnerships with public research players, including schools and universities, as well as private players. It also helps promote French research at international level and increases Paris-Saclay’s attractiveness.
A few example partnerships:
- In 2007, an initial partnership was signed with LPICM (Laboratoire de Polytechnique Spécialisé dans les Couches Minces). These activities applied to photovoltaic technology developed over the years.
- In 2013, together with other partners, TotalEnergies founded the Institut Photovoltaïque d’Ile de France (IPVF). It is an ITE (institute for the ecological transition) together with EDF, Air Liquide, Horiba, Riber, the CNRS and the École Polytechnique. It aims to become one of the world’s leading research, innovation and teaching centers in the area of photovoltaic solar energy. Its work focuses for example on solar-to-fuel technology.
- TotalEnergies is a partner to the LSCE’s Tracking Carbon Emissions (TRACE) research chair for detecting greenhouse gases (Co2, methane) using satellites or new sensors on the ground.
- TotalEnergies supports the “Technology challenges for responsible energy: more effectively capturing, storing and managing energy” chair in the framework of the TREND-X program.
- The Company’s teams of researchers moved into the Nano Innov (CEA List) premises to work on digital applications such as artificial intelligence and quantum computing with a view to solving complex problems such as optimizing the flow of electrons between a battery’s electrodes and increasing the capacity of certain materials to absorb CO2.
- TotalEnergies became a member of Vedecom and collaborates on electricity-based transportation solutions such as 48V powertrains.
- • In the framework of the “AI for Humanity” program, TotalEnergies opened the Sinclair laboratory, which it shares with EDF and Thales, to develop artificial intelligence applications for critical systems. Three areas of research are being developed: explicability, learning through repetition and digital simulation.
- • TotalEnergies supports the “Hi! Paris” initiative launched by HEC and the Institut Polytechnique de Paris. This interdisciplinary research and teaching center devoted to artificial intelligence and data sciences aims to become a global leader in these areas.
Paris-Saclay is one of the world’s best innovation clusters. It has everything it needs to become a global standard-setter in carbon-free energy. It covers a number of skill areas that are essential for building our energy future: electricity networks, robotics, material sciences, simulations, computer science (AI, quantum computing etc.), environmental science, life sciences, cognitive sciences etc.
The strength of an ecosystem like this one is that it brings together researchers and open-innovation practices with a view to designing the energy solutions of tomorrow and planning their implementation at an industrial level.
Our main partners in Paris-Saclay
PARIS-SACLAY: AN ECOSYSTEM OF EXCELLENCE
A leading project in the Greater Paris area, the Paris-Saclay cluster is a driver for renewal in French and European industry. Inspired by the success of Silicon Valley, it is recognized as one of the world’s eight most innovative clusters. Its ecosystem combines academic know-how, the world of research and the business sphere and will bring together up to 20% of French public and private research.
A few figures:
- 360 research labs.
- National research institutions (CNRS, CEA, INRAE, INRIA, INSERM, Onera and IHES) have a presence there.
- 65,000 students attend the top prestigious schools and universities, grouped into two hubs: the Paris-Saclay university (13th university worldwide, 1st for math and 1st in Europe for physics) and the Institut Polytechnique de Paris (with the École Polytechnique ranked 2nd worldwide for small universities).
- 3 Nobel prizes and 10 Fields medals.
- 423 startups operating in the area, supported by 35 innovation sites/incubators and 142 investors and businesses.
- Many large groups are locating their research activities in Saclay: Thales, EDF, Air Liquide, Danone, Horiba, Servier etc.
Paris-Saclay is among the world’s eight most innovative clusters (source: MIT Technology Review)
TotalEnergies is a partner to the annual Spring event that brings together the entire Paris-Saclay ecosystem. It is a unique opportunity to learn about the talents, projects and startups of this prestigious deeptech site, which is one of the world’s most innovative. Topics such as greentech firms and the transportation of tomorrow are addressed in seminars and discussions with startups.